Back to school time calls for hearty meals that are tasty and satisfying. This is a family favorite my mother found in a community newsletter several years ago.
1.5 pounds ground beef
1 medium yellow or red onion
9 corn or 5 flour tortillas
2 10 oz cans mild enchilada sauce
1 (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 t. cumin
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
crushed tortilla chips
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brown ground beef and onion in skillet.
2. Combine in a large bowl- black beans, corn and cumin, mix well.
3. Spray 11 3/4″x 7 1/2″ baking dish with non-stick spray. Arrange 2-3 tortillas on the bottom, cutting as needed. Spread 1/3 of meat/ onion mixture and 1/3 of bean/ corn mixture over tortillas. Repeat 2 more times until all ingredients are used. Top with enchilada sauce.
4. Cover with foil. Back 30 minutes.
5. Uncover. Top with cheese, cilantro and tortilla chips. Return to oven for about 5 minutes to melt cheese.
6. Enjoy with green salad, hot veggies and dessert.
Additional info: This can be put together in the morning and stored in the refrigerator until afternoon. Cooking time may be increased a few minutes.
Hope you enjoy this,